Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Rwanda: Vertically stacked strawberry farm focusing on hydroponics
- India: Hydroponics for sustainable living
- "We can focus more on quality and how the product satisfies consumer needs”
- Urban revitalization: Making indoor farming accessible through lower upfront costs
- 360° shape facilitates better airflow throughout the cultivation area
Top 5 -last month
Head Grower - Jordan (ON) Canada
We are growing! Boekestyn Greenhouses Inc is excited to be adding a Head Grower to our team. We are a family-owned business that has been growing a variety of plants and florals since 1962 for our wholesale distribution company, Flora Pack. Aligning with Our purpose “To enrich lives with the beauty of flowers and plants”, we work with passion to cultivate a weekly and holiday supply of crops for our valued US and Canadian customers through the Flora Pack supply chain.
Our Values create our dynamic culture. Simply put, we seek, and hire based on one’s character and values first - your experience second. Because we are invested in our company culture, we are fully committed to our purpose and values. We are not looking to add people who just want a job. We aim to attract and work with people who will share our passions as a team player, by contributing with a desire to grow in an environment where people are valued, and integrity is our guide.
We operate with clarity on what is most important for us as a team. Our five values provide the framework for our actions, interactions and day-in, day-out decisions.
- Purposefully Productive
- Embracing Excellence
- Together in Community
- Appreciating Beauty
- Living with Integrity
We are not perfect, but we can proudly say that we have a group of reliable, hardworking, and honest “team members” which allows us to run a successful business. We can only ensure a remarkable client experience and a friendly professional workplace if we have the right people within our team. Therefore, we are committed to ensure that what matters to you, is what matters to us. You will see this through our dedication in equipping and growing our team. That means doing the right thing for our team, suppliers, and customers. It is this alignment that will ensure a remarkable experience for you, the team, our clients, suppliers, our families, and community.
Core Responsibilities are to lead and coach the growing team, producing good quality crops:
- Determines rates of fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, and fungicide as required by the crops and applies and/or directs application of them
- Remains current in industry changes, techniques and technologies, periodicals
- Ensure compliance of company policies, procedures relating to employment and grow standards
- Assist in alignment of growing and planning with space and production schedules
- Develop growing procedures and cultivation techniques and maintain crop SOP library
- Identify, define, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions necessary to identify a wide variety of conditions such as plant diseases, existence of insects, etc. and solution problems
- 4 year degree in Horticulture or related field
- 5 years of related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- Strong understanding of the use of injectors, electrical conductivity and pH meter, boom and irrigations systems to apply knowledge and monitor conditions such as ventilation, light conditions, temperature and
- Ability to apply principles of algebra and geometry
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation and interpersonal communication skills to interact with all levels of team members and customers
- Proven leadership skills, fostering trust and positive working relationships at all levels to meet individual and common goals
- Seeks excellence in all facets of the role, growth mindset
- Spanish is considered a strong asset
- Ability to work in conditions typically found in a greenhouse with high humidity and varying temperatures, with a fair amount of moisture
- Ability to crouch, grasps, and lift product above shoulders in order to lift product from the floor (up to 15-50 pounds occasionally, 20 pounds of force frequently and 10 pounds of force constantly in order to lift and move product)
- Ability to stand and/or sit for long periods of time
- 8-hour shift
- Spraying after hours and on-call work may be necessary
- This position cannot be performed remotely
Boekestyn Greenhouses Inc. is an equal opportunity employer adhering to all provincial safety standards and recommendations of the provincial and Federal Governments. We are grateful to all candidates for their expressed interest in joining our team; however only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be invited for an interview. Accessibility accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in any stage of the selection process.
To Apply: HR@boekestyn.com