Blue Book recently launched New Hire Academy 2.0, a refreshed suite of online instructional videos to help industry new hires.
“Sourcing, selling, and transporting fresh produce isn’t easy,” said Doug Nelson, Blue Book’s special services division vice-president. “There’s always something to know and learn, whether you’re a new hire or an industry veteran looking for a refresher on a particular topic.”
The New Hire Academy videos, available online through Blue Book Online Services, include five instructional sessions: Sales & Account Management; Trading Customs & Rules; Transportation Customs & Rules; The PACA Trust; and Understanding Blue Book Ratings. Once new employees have viewed each video, they may take an online quiz and obtain a certificate showing their successful completion of the series.
The Sales & Account Management session is presented by Minos Athanassiadis, managing partner of the Fresh Link consulting group, while the PACA Trust session is presented by June Munroe, partner at Rynn & Janowsky, LLP law firm. Bill Zentner, vice-president of rating services with Blue Book, presents Understanding Blue Book Ratings & Scores and Doug Nelson of Blue Book presents sessions on Trading Customs & Rules and Transportation Customs & Rules.
Each training session is free to members. The online tutorials are rigorous, and topics covered in the training sessions include:
- Forming a contract
- The importance of written confirmations
- Authority to grant price adjustments and modify terms
- The warranty of suitable shipping condition
- Contracts of carriage
- Key transportation documents (e.g., bills of lading, rate confirmations, etc.)
- Exempt versus regulated transportation
- The PACA Trust and reparations process
- Recovering debts through the PACA Trust
- Interpreting Blue Book Ratings & Scores
- Credit worth estimates & financial ratios
- Seasonal and spot market pricing and more
To watch the videos, members can log on to www.ProduceBlueBook.com and click the “New Hire Academy” button under Education. If a new hire needs a temporary guest log-in to access the course, please call Blue Book’s customer service team at 630 668-3500 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.