From cell-cultured salmon to mushroom-made bacon, science is making tremendous strides towards foods that are nutritious and sustainably produced. While many urban eaters are embracing meat-free alternatives, global meat consumption is rising by 1% a year, a huge threat to worsening climate change. At the same time, scientists are closer than ever to solving the ‘scaling’ challenge of cultured meat, reducing both costs and energy use. But in the age where farm-to-table dominates food culture, are consumers ready for pork grown without pigs, steak without cows? What can we learn from diverse cultural relationships with meat, how these have evolved in the past, and where tastes are going next? What other global trends in society can help us see where public appetite is heading? What role will chefs and food culture leaders play in driving or stemming adoption?
Is the world ready for cell-to-table?
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-01 Survey: Prioritizing the challenges that accompany CEA spinach production
- 2023-12-01 Conviction in fraudulent funds for aquaponic project
- 2023-11-30 Philippines: DA provides seedlings and other urgent aid to earthquake-affected farmers and fisherfolk in Mindanao
- 2023-11-29 US: Biden-Harris administration partners with ag producers to strengthen supply chains and lower food costs
- 2023-11-29 Ireland: 44% farm income drop is a serious concern, says IFA president
- 2023-11-29 Vertical farming: the end of the beginning
- 2023-11-29 Microgreens trend is sprouting, but won’t solve the food crisis
- 2023-11-23 How urban agriculture is growing across Australia
- 2023-11-23 European Parliament scraps pesticides proposal Green Deal
- 2023-11-22 Horticultural Society of Nigeria calls for the use of AI
- 2023-11-21 UK: £1.2M new funding announced for horticultural sector
- 2023-11-21 "We applaud the restoration of funding to urban farming programs"
- 2023-11-17 US: Crop insurance options for urban and innovative producers
- 2023-11-17 Defining the sensory profiles of fresh berries
- 2023-11-15 US "Bowery hit with layoffs, steep valuation markdown"
- 2023-11-14 Part 2: Improving the productivity of vertical farms