In celebration of back-to-school season, Oishii, a vertical strawberry farm, has teamed up with Next Generation Harvest Foundation to bring hydroponic gardens to eight classrooms this fall through a new scholarship program.
The innovative project is designed to provide students and the school community with hands-on science and S.T.E.A.M. education by creating an experiential indoor hydroponic learning garden.
The scholarship grantees will each receive a Grow Box, an all-in-one hydroponic system with vertical vine plants, in addition to one-on-one training sessions and educational resources to start growing. Students will have the unique opportunity to learn about sustainable gardening and agriculture while fostering creativity, critical thinking, and a deeper understanding of environmental responsibility.
Key program details:
● Application Deadline: September 8, 2023 at 11:59 PM ET. Eight classrooms will be chosen at random to participate.
● Eligibility: All public and private schools K-12 across the New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania, Maryland, Connecticut, and Virginia areas are eligible for the scholarship.
● How to Apply: Interested educators can apply here.
● Scholarship Details:
- Hydroponic Grow Kit for the classroom delivered by October 2023
- One-on-one training sessions and educational resources
- Teachers are responsible for ownership of the program, running of the hydroponic unit (while operational), and sharing what they learn with the school.
Next Generation Harvest Foundation created this program together with Oishii, focusing on S.T.E.A.M. Education for students, allowing them to nurture and care for other living things while developing patience and understanding for nature and the world around us with hands-on learning.