The 3rd International Workshop on Vertical Farming (Vertifarm2024) is an international event organized by the University of Bologna and sponsored by the International Scientific Society of Vegetable-Floro-Frutticulture (ISHS, International Society for Horticultural Sciences), the main scientific society in the sector with the most of 70,000 members worldwide, the Italian Horticultural and Fruit and Vegetable Society (SOI) and the Municipality of Bologna.
The event, which will be held in Bologna from January 16 to 19, 2024, reaches its third edition, following the first held in Wageningen (Holland) in 2019, which saw the participation of over 500 people from all over the world and the second planned in China for 2020 and then postponed to 2023.
The event aims to promote the dissemination of research and the meeting between experts in the Vertical Farming sector. Specifically, during the conference, the most recent advances and scientific results will be exposed on various topics related to vertical farming, such as integration into buildings, optimization of cultivation resources, automation, socio-economic impact, and the environmental footprint. The event will also stimulate exchange and networking between international research groups from different countries around the world.
The workshop will be mainly aimed at sector operators, entrepreneurs and technicians, scholars and academics, and various stakeholders from the public and private sectors, stimulating dialogue and exchange in order to promote sustainable technological innovation. In this regard, during the conference, workshops and guided visits will be organized at production infrastructures present in the city of Bologna and in Italy, including the experimental Vertical Farm of the Department of Agro-Food Sciences and Technologies (DISTAL) of the University of Bologna Alma Mater Studiorum (the first in Italy and among the few in Europe)
During the workshop, the topics and sessions covered will be:
- Prospects for system innovation
- Climate and crop control
- Efficiency of resource use in vertical agriculture
- Lighting management.
We have a host of illustrious speakers, including :
- Prof. Stefania De Pascale, University of Naples Federico II
- Prof. Bruge Bugbee, Utah State University
- Prof. Leo Marcelis, Wageningen University
- Prof. In-Bok Lee, Seoul National University
- Dr. Eri Hayashi, Japan Plant Factory Association
- Dr. Ep Heuvelink, Wageningen University
- Prof. Murat Kacira, University of Arizona
- Dr. Giuseppina Pennisi, University of Bologna
- Dr. Michael Martin, IVL Swedish Environmental Research Institute and KTH Royal Institute of Technology.
Furthermore, on January 19, technical visits will be organized to discover local indoor cultivation technologies.
Click here to register for the event.
Spaces and opportunities for presence are available for sponsors and companies in the sector.
- Prof. Francesco Orsini – DISTAL, University of Bologna Alma Mater Studiorum
- Dr. Giuseppina Pennisi – DISTAL, University of Bologna Alma Mater Studiorum
For more information: