Held under the auspices of the International Society for Horticultural Science (ISHS), the 2024 edition of EHC – “European Horticulture at Crossroads” will be organized in Bucharest, Romania, from May 12-16. This is the fifth edition of EHC, an event taking place every 4 years (previously known as the “Symposium of Horticulture in Europe”).
The 2024 hosts, namely the University of Agronomic Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Bucharest and the Romanian Society of Horticulturists have chosen as a venue the impressive Palace of Parliament and its International Congress Center. Even more impressive is the program of the event:
- 10 symposia
- a horticultural exhibition
- technical and post-event tours
Within the 10 Symposia of the Congress, science, and innovation will meet industry and nature in an open dialogue about why, when, and how we can and need to work together for the sustainable development of European and world horticulture.
The Congress aims to provide answers to 3 main questions:
- What is the real state of horticulture regionally and globally?
- What are the challenges to achieving full sustainability?
- What does society expect from horticulture in the 21st century?
The symposia themes are extremely varied:
- History of horticulture in Europe.
- Sustainable vegetable production from seed to health booster sources.
- Fruit production systems for a sustainable and resilient development.
- Viticulture and winemaking between tradition and innovation.
- Berries in Europe between opportunities and challenges.
- Ornamental horticulture at the service of the European society.
- Urban horticulture: from vertical farming to planting design.
- Genetic resources in horticulture: screening, propagation, use, and conservation.
- Robotics, mechanization, and smart horticulture.
- Postharvest and horticultural products quality.